On 5/21/14, 2:37 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 04:23:34PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> writes:
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:56:59AM -0600, Jeff Ross wrote:
Yes, using 9.3's pg_dump of 8.4 and applying it to both an 8.4 and a
9.3 cluster, the contact_email table now has toast in both 8.4 and
9.3.

So the big question is why doesn't the existing 8.4 table have a toast
table?  Did you use pg_upgrade on the old cluster before, e.g. from 8.3?

I have a vague recollection that we changed the calculations about whether
a toast table would be needed, but I can't find it in the commit logs
right now --- and anyway I think this was pre-8.4.

The only item I can think of that would cause this is someone changing
the length of a string.  Did someone modify pg_attribute directly to
increase the length of one of the character columns?

I don't know, sorry.

I just tested ALTER TABLE in 8.4 and it does create a toast table for
this case in 9.4:

        CREATE TABLE test (x CHAR(10));
        ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN x TYPE CHAR(8000);

I just tried this on the problem table and it did indeed create a toast table.

I then retried pg_upgrade and it failed with the same problem on a different table in the same database. Of the 67 databases in the 8.4 cluster, 5 (so far) have had this problem on at least one table.

Jeff