I'm evaluating use of the postgres FDW to keep in sync a central database
to changes made in thousand other databases, via triggers.

But as long as postgres_fdw keeps connections open for the whole lifetime
of a session this conflicts with large use of poolers which make sessions
virtually never expire.

Is there any way to ask the postgres_fdw to close connections at the
end of a transaction ? Or would it be possible at all to do from a
FDW handler ? Do you see any drawback in doing that ?

I'm willing to work on a patch, maybe accepting an additional OPTION,
if you agree on the idea.

--strk;

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign  --  Keep it simple !
 /\  http://strk.keybit.net/rants/ascii_mails.txt