* Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> writes:
> > Yes.  I'd definitely like to see an ALTER TABLESPACE option, with an
> > ERROR that lists out all of the non-temporary objects which are found
> > (and lists any other databases which have objects in those
> > tablespaces..).  That would allow administrators who have existing
> > notionally temporary-only tablespaces to go clean things up to make them
> > actually temporary-only.
>
> That seems just about impossible from a concurrency standpoint
> (ie, what if someone is creating a new table in the tablespace
> concurrently with your check?  Possibly in a different database?)

Yeah, that's definitely an annoying complexity.

> I would certainly suggest that the first version of the patch not
> undertake to allow this property to be ALTERed; the cost-benefit
> ratio isn't there IMO.

I suppose scheduling downtime to do the check manually across all
databases, then drop and recreate the tablespace, would work.  As
someone who's working with a couple of these cases, it'd be awful nice
if there was a way PG would handle it for me.

                Thanks,

                        Stephen