On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakan...@vmware.com> wrote:
>> load, then it might take quite a long time.  I'm thinking we might
>> want a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() in the following two places:
>>
>> 1. Inside toast_save_datum, at the top of the loop that starts with
>> "while (data_todo > 0)".
>> 2. Inside heap_multi_insert, at the top of the loop that starts with
>> "while (ndone < ntuples)".
>
> Seems reasonable.

OK, done.

I don't have time to pursue this at the moment, but while looking at
this, I was also wondering if toast_save_datum() ought to be rewritten
to use heap_multi_insert().  I seem to recall that you found that the
multi-insert optimization mostly benefited narrow tables, so I'm not
sure whether it would work out to a win, but maybe it'd be worth
investigating.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company