Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> I think the threshold question for this incarnation of the patch is
> whether we're happy with new DDL (viz, CREATE CUSTOM PLAN PROVIDER) as
> a way of installing new plan providers into the database.

I tend to agree with your conclusion that that's a whole lot of
infrastructure with very little return.  I don't see anything here
we shouldn't do via function hooks instead, and/or a "register" callback
from a dynamically loaded library.

Also, we tend to think (for good reason) that once something is embedded
at the SQL level it's frozen; we are much more willing to redesign C-level
APIs.  There is no possible way that it's a good idea for this stuff to
get frozen in its first iteration.