Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> writes:
> I think that it would be a good beginner's project to make pprint()
> print JSON.

There's something to be said for that (or, really, for any standardized
widely-popular textual data format; but JSON is a perfectly reasonable
candidate).

> The existing infrastructure is user visible because of GUCs like
> debug_print_parse.

There is that :-(.  The fact that these strings are stored in the catalogs
isn't a problem as long as we make the change in a major version upgrade.
But to the extent that there is client-side code that expects to make
sense of the strings, it could be a problem.  Is there any such code?
If so, are we really beholden to not break it?  It's not like we don't
change those data representations routinely anyway ...