David G Johnston <david.g.johns...@gmail.com> writes:
> Since "bucket" is the 'verb' here (in this specific case meaning "lookup the
> supplied value in the supplied bucket definition") and "width" is a modifier
> (the bucket specification describes an equal-width structure) I suggest
> "literal_bucket(val, array[])" such that the bucket is still the verb but
> now the modifier describes a structure that is literally provided.

It's a very considerable stretch to see "bucket" as a verb here :-).
Maybe that's why the SQL committee's choice of function name seems
so unnatural (to me anyway).

I was wondering about bucket_index(), ie "get the index of the bucket
this value falls into".  Or get_bucket(), or get_bucket_index() if you
like verbosity.