On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> TBH I've also been wondering whether any of these proposed cures are
> better than the disease.

I couldn't agree more.  There's something to be said for just leaving
this alone.

> The changes that can be argued to make the
> behavior more sane are also ones that introduce backwards compatibility
> issues of one magnitude or another.

But on this point I think David Johnston said it best:

# Any change has the potential to draw complaints.  For you it seems that "hey,
# I upgraded to 9.5 and my logs are being rotated out every minute now.  I
# thought I had that turned off" is the desired complaint.  Greg wants: "hey, my
# 1 hour log rotation is now happening every minute".  If the error message is
# written correctly most people upon seeing the error will simply fix their
# configuration and move on - regardless of whether they were proactive in
# doing so having read the release notes.

I particularly agree with his first sentence - any change can
potentitally draw complaints.  But I also agree with his last one - of
those three possible complaints, I certainly prefer "I had to fix my
configuration file for the new, stricter validation" over any variant
of "my configuration file still worked but it did something
surprisingly different from what it used to do.".

YMMV.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company