On 09/25/2014 10:14 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 06:01:08PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
>> But independent of which version is chosen, we *REALLY* need to make the
>> decision soon. This issue has held up the next beta (like jsonb has
>> blocked previous beta) for *weeks*.
>> Personally it doesn't make me very happy that Heikki and Tom had to be
>> the people stepping up to fix this.
> I think there are a few reasons this has been delayed, aside from the
> scheduling ones:
>       1.  compression issues were a surprise, and we are wondering if
>           there are any other surprises
>       2.  pg_upgrade makes future data format changes problematic
>       3.  9.3 multi-xact bugs spooked us into being more careful
> I am not sure what we can do to increase our speed based on these items.

Alternately, this is delayed because:

1. We have one tested patch to fix the issue.

2. However, people are convinced that there's a better patch possible.

3. But nobody is working on this better patch except "in their spare time".

Given this, I once again vote for releasing based on Tom's lengths-only
patch, which is done, tested, and ready to go.

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:

Reply via email to