On 2014-09-29 18:44:34 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andres Freund wrote:
>
> > I'm generally baffled at all the stuff postmaster does in signal
> > handlers... ProcessConfigFile(), load_hba() et al. It's all done with
> > signals disabled, but still.
>
> As far as I recall, the rationale for why this is acceptable is that the
> whole of postmaster is run with signals blocked; they are only unblocked
> during the sleeping select().

Yea, I wrote that above :). Still seems remarkably fragile and
unnecessarily complex. The whole thing would be much simpler and
importantly easier to understand if everything would be done inside the
mainloop and the handlers just would set a latch...
But I guess that'd be a bit of large change to something as central as
postmaster's code..

Greetings,

Andres Freund