On 9/29/14, 2:30 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Can we explain those reasons in the form of documentation?
Yes. Try and benchmark it. It'll be hardware and workload dependant.

I missed this whole thing, and eventually I have to circle back to it. I could do it this week. Could you (or someone else familiar with the useful benchmarks) give me more detail on how to replicate one case where things should improve? I can do that, and I have a lab full of hardware if it's easier to spot on one type of server. That exercise will probably lead to a useful opinion on the feature in its final form, any associated GUC, tunables, and necessary level of associated documentation in a day or two.

This is a pretty low bar, right? Examples and documentation sufficient for just me to catch up is not asking for very much. If it isn't possible to do that in a very short period of time, it would not bode well for broader consumption.

--
Greg Smith greg.sm...@crunchydatasolutions.com
Chief PostgreSQL Evangelist - http://crunchydatasolutions.com/