On 10/7/14, 9:11 AM, Feike Steenbergen wrote:
Perhaps I am the only one using autocommit-off mode

You most definitely aren't.

and we shouldn't put effort
into fixing this?

It's not clear to me that this is fixing a problem, to be honest. If you're running autocommit=off, you have an expectation that you can roll back commands at will. It's fine if I can't roll back a VACUUM, for example, since I would practically never want to do that. But ALTER TYPE .. ADD VALUE ..; is an entirely different beast. That one's permanent; there's no DROP equivalent. If the command is just executed, and I can't roll it back, wouldn't that be a serious violation of the principle of least astonishment? DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY has a bit of the same problem. You can CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, but it might take days in some cases.

I think that just running the command is a bad idea, and if we want to fix something here we should focus on just providing a better error message.

.marko