On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I don't see that as being relevant. The difference is an instruction or
> two - in the slow path we'll enter the kernel and sleep. This doesn't
> matter in comparison.
> And the code is *so* much more readable.

I find the slist/dlist stuff actually quite difficult to get right
compared to a hand-rolled linked list.  But the really big problem is
that the debugger can't do anything useful with it.  You have to work
out the structure-member offset in order to walk the list and manually
cast to char *, adjust the pointer, and cast back.  That sucks.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company