On 08/10/14 11:28, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 1:36 AM, Marti Raudsepp <ma...@juffo.org> wrote:
But the
MERGE syntax, to me, strongly implies that insertion doesn't begin
before determining whether a conflict exists or not.

I think you're right. Another strike against the MERGE syntax, then,
since as I said we cannot even know what to check prior to having
before row insert triggers fire.

True, but to me it also seems to be strike against using INSERT for this as I don't really see how you can make triggers work in a sane way if the UPSERT is implemented as part of INSERT (at least I haven't seen any proposal that I would consider sane from the user point of view).