Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian kirjutas K, 06.11.2002 kell 08:19:
> > > I have copies of Peer Direct's (Jan's company) port of PostgreSQL to
> > > Win32, and SRA's port to Win32, and permission to generate a merged
> > > patch that can be applied to 7.4.
> >
> > Great!
> >
> > > Now that 7.3 is almost complete, I am going to start work on that.  I
> > > will post patches that deal with specific portability issues, like
> > > fork/exec and path separator handling, and once reviewed, apply them to
> > > the main CVS tree for 7.4.
> >
> > What C compiler will you be working with ?
> >
> > I hope that at least MingW should be supported ?
>
> Actually, I will be doing all the coding on BSD/OS.  I am more merging
> patches than actual coding, though.  This will guarantee that the
> patches will not affect the Unix platforms.  I will need help from
> others to check the various Win32 compilers.

I was wondering about that. How will you be able to verify that you got
a Win32 port that at least compiles, if you're merging two different
Win32 approaches into the code on BSD? I don't expect that to work at
all.

To Hannu: the Windows port we did here depends on MS VC++ features like
the ability to specify in the project to substitute header files. I
don't know much about MingW and if you can do things like that with it.
Our port is a real 100% pure Win32 one without any portability crap like
cygwin. I don't think that's a big problem, since the binary results of
a MS VC compile are redistributable AFAIK. And you'd need VC++ only if
you want to do backend development under Windows, and who want's that
(Katie for sure, but that's another story ;-P )

Jan