I wrote:
> Yup, you read that right, it took 32 seconds to run those dozen utterly
> trivial tests.  As far as I could tell by eyeball, pretty much all of the
> time went into test 11, which is odd since it seems not significantly
> different from the others.  I think there's something wacky about IPC::Run
> on this platform.

Oh, never mind: after digging into the test source I eventually realized
that there's an initdb happening between tests 10 and 11, and that's
what's eating the time.  It might be a thought to print something to
indicate that a time-consuming step is happening; but the lack of any
feedback here isn't exactly IPC::Run's fault.

Anyway, I can confirm Peter's statement that the current tests work even
on quite old platforms, as long as you install IPC::Run.