All,

> That said, I don't feel very strongly about that position, so if you and
> Robert (and others on the thread) agree that's the right approach then
> I'll see about getting it done.

We haven't reached consensus on this one yet and I didn't want it to fall
too far off the radar.

Here is what I summarize as the current state of the discussion:

1. Syntax:

ALTER ROLE <role> { ADD | DROP } CAPABILITY <capability>

* I think this is the most straight forward approach as it still close to
the current syntax.
* Perhaps keeping the current syntax around as deprecated to be removed in
a scheduled future version. (provide a "deprecated" message to the user?)

or

GRANT EXECUTE PRIVILEGES ON <capability> TO <role>

* Though, this will be tricky since EXECUTE is not reserved and the
currently state of GRANT in the grammar would require either refactoring or
making it RESERVED... neither I think are acceptable at this point in time
for obvious reasons.

2. Catalog Representation:

Condense all attributes in pg_authid to single int64 column and create
bitmasks accordingly.

Obviously there is some concern for upgrading and whether to do both at
once or to do them incrementally.  IMHO, I think if the changes are going
to be made, then we should go ahead and do them at the same time.  Though,
would it be beneficial to separate in to two distinct patches?

-Adam

--
Adam Brightwell - adam.brightw...@crunchydatasolutions.com
Database Engineer - www.crunchydatasolutions.com