On 11/02/2014 06:41 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
I wrote:
Either way, requiring a dump/reload for upgrade is surely a better answer
for users of the type than just summarily screwing them.

BTW, after reflecting a bit more I'm less than convinced that this
datatype is completely useless.  Even if you prefer to store currency
values in numeric columns, casting to or from money provides a way to
accept or emit values in whatever monetary format the LC_MONETARY locale
setting specifies.  That seems like a useful feature, and it's one you
could not easily duplicate using to_char/to_number (not to mention that
those functions aren't without major shortcomings of their own).

I personally find that one of the money type's missfeatures, since the currency symbol does not vary just per language/locale but also for which currency you are working with. For databases with multiple currencies the output format of money is just confusing.

Andreas