On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I think the retry logical is a largely pointless complication of already
> complex enough code. You're fixing a problem for which there is
> absolutely no evidence of its existance. Yes, this happens
> occasionally. But it's going to be so absolutely minor in comparison to
> just about every other source of bloat.

I agree bloat isn't really a threat, but what about the relfrozenxid?
If we skip even one page we don't get to advance it and retrying could
eliminate those skipped pages and allow us to avoid a vacuum freeze
which can be really painful. Of course that only works if you can be
sure you haven't overflowed and forgotten any skipped pages and if you
don't find the page still pinned every time until you eventually give
up on it.

--
greg