On 11/10/14, 11:28 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Jim Nasby wrote:
On 11/7/14, 8:21 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Jim Nasby <jim.na...@bluetreble.com> wrote:
The problem right now is there's no way to actually obtain evidence that
this is (or isn't) something to worry about, because we just silently skip
pages. If we had any kind of tracking on this we could stop guessing. :(

I could see logging it, but I agree with Andres and Alvaro that the
odds are strongly against there being any actual problem here.

I'm fine with that. Any other objections? Andres?

If what we want is to quantify the extent of the issue, would it be more
convenient to save counters to pgstat?  Vacuum already sends pgstat
messages, so there's no additional traffic there.

IMHO that would be ideal, but I think Tom was leery of using more space for
every table. If we go this route, I'm guessing we should only log pages we
skip, and not log pages we had to wait for the lock on (in the case of a
freeze). Also, should we still eroprt this even if we are putting it in stats?

Is there a way to avoid duplicating the entire eroprt call? I see I could call
errstart & friends manually, but currently that's only done in elog.c.