On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do we really need to support dml or pg_dump for individual partitions?

I think we do.  It's quite reasonable for a DBA (or developer or
whatever) to want to dump all the data that's in a single partition;
for example, maybe they have the table partitioned, but also spread
across several servers.  When the data on one machine grows too big,
they want to dump that partition, move it to a new machine, and drop
the partition from the old machine.  That needs to be easy and
efficient.

More generally, with inheritance, I've seen the ability to reference
individual inheritance children be a real life-saver on any number of
occasions.  Now, a new partitioning system that is not as clunky as
constraint exclusion will hopefully be fast enough that people don't
need to do it very often any more.  But I would be really cautious
about removing the option.  That is the equivalent of installing a new
fire suppression system and then boarding up the emergency exit.
Yeah, you *hope* the new fire suppression system is good enough that
nobody will ever need to go out that way any more.  But if you're
wrong, people will die, so getting rid of it isn't prudent.  The
stakes are not quite so high here, but the principle is the same.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company