On 01/20/2015 01:26 PM, Arne Scheffer wrote:
Interesting patch.
I did a quick review looking only into the patch file.

The "sum of variances" variable contains
the "sum of squared differences" instead, I think.

Umm, no. It's not.

   e->counters.sum_var_time +=
       (total_time - old_mean) * (total_time - e->counters.mean_time);

This is not a square that's being added. old_mean is not the same as e->counters.mean_time.

Since the variance is this value divided by (n - 1), AIUI, I think "sum of variances" isn't a bad description. I'm open to alternative suggestions.

And a very minor aspect:
The term "standard deviation" in your code stands for
(corrected) sample standard deviation, I think,
because you devide by n-1 instead of n to keep the
estimator unbiased.
How about mentioning the prefix "sample"
to indicate this beiing the estimator?

I don't understand. I'm following pretty exactly the calculations stated at <http://www.johndcook.com/blog/standard_deviation/>

I'm not a statistician. Perhaps others who are more literate in statistics can comment on this paragraph.

And I'm sure I'm missing C specifics (again)
(or it's the reduced patch file scope),
but you introduce sqrtd, but sqrt is called?

Good catch. Will fix.

cheers

andrew