Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 2015-01-28 10:35:28 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Even if you didn't have plans like that, it would be entire folly to
>> imagine that buffer headers will be exactly 64 bytes without some forcing
>> function for that.

> Meh. The 128 byte additionally used by the alignment don't hurt in any
> case. But forcing all buffer descriptors to 64bit on a 32bit platform
> isn't guaranteed to be performance neutral.

> So, no I don't think it's a "folly" to do so.

Once we have the mechanism in place, it is a policy decision whether to
apply it on 32-bit builds.  If you don't think there is evidence to
support aligning headers on 32-bit builds, we don't have to do that.
But I firmly object to applying a patch that claims to align the headers
on 64-bit platforms unless it includes something to ensure that it
*actually* does that, regardless of platform variations or subsequent
additions or subtractions of fields.  I think that's a necessary component
of any such patch and should not be allowed to slide.  If you don't want
to do that work now, then drop the topic until you do.