On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> wrote:
> I don't want to get bogged down on this - the numeric abbreviation
> patch *is* still much more compelling - but maybe abbreviation of
> float8 isn't a red herring after all.

I'm completely on-board with doing something about numeric.  I think
it might be pretty foolish to try to do anything about any data type
the CPU has hard-wired knowledge of.  We're basically betting that we
can do better in software than they did in hardware, and even if that
happens to be true on some systems under some circumstances, it leaves
us in a poor position to leverage future improvements to the silicon.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company