On 01/18/2015 04:48 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
I think that the fundamental, unfixable race condition here is the
disconnect between index tuple insertion and checking for would-be
exclusion violations that exclusion constraints naturally have here,
that unique indexes naturally don't have [1] (note that I'm talking
only about approach #2 to value locking here; approach #1 isn't in
V2.0). I suspect that the feature is not technically feasible to make
work correctly with exclusion constraints, end of story. VACUUM
interlocking is probably also involved here, but the unfixable race
condition seems like our fundamental problem.

It's not a fundamental, unfixable race condition. In [1], I gave you three ideas straight off the top of my head on how that could be fixed.

Please work with me towards a committable patch.

I'm trying...

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/54a7c76d.3070...@vmware.com

- Heikki