On 01/30/2015 01:38 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On the stress-testing front, I'm still running Jeff Janes' tool [1],
while also continuing to use his Postgres modifications to
artificially increase the XID burn rate.

[1] https://github.com/petergeoghegan/jjanes_upsert

I followed the instructions in README.md to reproduce this. I downloaded the tool, applied the upsert patchset, applied the hack to parse_clause.c as instructed in the README.md file, installed btree_gist, and ran count_upsert_exclusion.pl.

It failed immediately with an assertion failure:

TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(node->spec != SPEC_INSERT || node->arbiterIndex != ((Oid) 0))", File: "nodeModifyTable.c", Line: 1619)

Is that just because of the hack in parse_clause.c?

With assertions disabled, count_upsert_exclusion.pl ran successfully to the end. I also tried running "VACUUM FREEZE upsert_race_test" in a loop in another session at the same time, but it didn't make a difference. How quickly do you see the errors?

I also tried applying crash_REL9_5.patch from the jjanes_upsert kit, and set jj_xid=10000 to increase XID burn rate, but I'm still not seeing any errors.

- Heikki