On 2015-02-12 11:44:05 -0800, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
> > This obviously should not be the case. I'll have a look in a couple of
> > hours. Until then you can likely  just work around the problem by creating
> > the archive_status directory.
>
> Thank you. Just let me know if you need some extra info or debugging.

No need for debugging. It's plain and simply a (cherry-pick) conflict I
resolved wrongly during backpatching. 9.3, 9.4 and master do not have
that problem. That whole fix was quite painful because every single
release had significantly different code :(. pg_basebackup/ is pretty
messy.
I'm not sure why my testsuite didn't trigger that problem. Possibly
because a retry makes things work :(

Somewhat uckily it's 9.2 only (9.3, 9.4 and master look correct, earlier
releases don't have pg_receivexlog) and can quite easily be worked
around by creating the archive_status directory.

If you want to fix it locally, you just need to replace
ReceiveXlogStream(conn, startpos, timeline, NULL, basedir,
                                          stop_streaming,
standby_message_timeout, false, true);
by
ReceiveXlogStream(conn, startpos, timeline, NULL, basedir,
                                          stop_streaming,
standby_message_timeout, false, false);

Yes, that and pretty much all other functions in that directory have too
many parameters.

Greetings,

Andres Freund