On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 22, 2015, at 5:41 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paqu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > This is up to the maintainer of each extension to manage their code
> > tree. However I can imagine that some people would be grateful if we
> > allow them to not need sql/ and expected/ containing only one single
> > .gitignore file ignoring everything with "*", making the code tree of
> > their extensions cleaner.
>
> I don't see this as an improvement. What's wrong with a .gitignore file
> ignoring everything?

That's mainly a matter of code maintenance style (and I am on the side that
a minimum number of folders in a git tree makes things easier to follow),
and IMO it is strange to not have some flexibility. Btw, the reason why
this patch exists is this thread of last December:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20141212134508.gt1...@alvh.no-ip.org#20141212134508.gt1...@alvh.no-ip.org
--
Michael