On 3/24/15 6:26 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Gierth <and...@tao11.riddles.org.uk> writes:
"Tom" == Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
  Tom> I concur with Michael that there's value in exposing the version
  Tom> number in the numeric form used by PG_VERSION_NUM.  However, I
  Tom> also concur with Andrew that if the use-case for this is
  Tom> Makefiles, pg_config is a pretty poor transmission mechanism.  We
  Tom> should instead add PG_VERSION_NUM to the version variables set in
  Tom> Makefile.global.

I think there's an argument for both. pg_config already has a VERSION=
string in the output, and I think adding a VERSION_NUM= would be good
for consistency there. And people definitely do want to do version
comparisons in makefiles...

Hm.  We're all agreed that there's a use case for exposing PG_VERSION_NUM
to the makefiles, but I did not hear one for adding it to pg_config; and
doing the former takes about two lines whereas adding a pg_config option
entails quite a lot of overhead (documentation, translatable help text,
yadda yadda).  So I'm not in favor of doing the latter without a much
more solid case than has been made.

Why else would you want the version number other than to do some kind of comparison? I know I've had to play these games in the past (outside of a Makefile), though I don't remember the details right now. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Michael's original patch seems to hit everything necessary but the translations, and it's only ~15 lines. That doesn't seem very unreasonable to me...