On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Simon Riggs <si...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> That's a reasonable argument. So +1 to protocol from me.
>
> To satisfy Tom, I think this would need to have two modes: one where the
> session can never be reset, for ultra security, and one where the session
> can be reset, which allows security and speed of pooling.

I think the the second one is a lot more interesting, but I don't have
a problem with having the first one, too, if somebody wants it.  We
can use one protocol message for both, with a 1-byte character field
used to indicate which mode the client is requesting.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company