Philip Warner wrote:
> At 12:10 PM 12/12/2002 +1100, Philip Warner wrote:
> >good starting point for tuning
>
> I think this probably sums it up.
>
> IMO it is grandiose to call it a tuning document; at best it is a
> 'Misbehaviour Avoidance' document. We probably need something about the
> usual database-side tuning options: indexes, WAL, page sizes etc, and
> something else about environmental options (moving files, RAID etc).

Yep, that sounds like it.  We should have that right in the docs next to
that tuning parameter, or somewhere in a separate section on freespace
map and point there. Also, this may improve over releases so we need to
track the changes in the official release.  If we can convey how the
free space map works, people will be able to understand how their
workload affects it.

> Should I change the section name to 'Routine Maintenance'?

Well, it isn't something you would play with regularly, like backups.
It is more like the disk space analysis section I added in 7.3.