Hi,

WAL-related tools, i.e., pg_archivecleanup, pg_resetxlog and
pg_xlogdump don't seem to properly handle .paritial WAL file.
I think that we should fix at least pg_archivecleanup, otherwise,
in the system using pg_archivecleanup to clean up old archived
files, the archived .paritial WAL file will never be removed.
Thought?

To make pg_archivecleanup detect .paritial WAL file, I'd like to
use IsPartialXLogFileName() macro that commit 179cdd0 added.
Fortunately Michael proposed the patch which makes the macros
in xlog_internal.h usable in WAL-related tools, and it's better
to apply the fix based on his patch. So my plan is to apply his
patch first and then apply the fix to pg_archivecleanup.
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqSiKU+8HjVe_J05btonC5E7kvmRaLpGS6EaEQe=dy3...@mail.gmail.com

Regarding pg_resetxlog and pg_xlogdump, do we need to change
also them so that they can handle .paritial file properly?

pg_resetxlog cannot clean up .partial file even if it should be
removed. But the remaining .paritial file is harmless and will be
recycled later by checkpoint, so extra treatment of .paritial
file in pg_resetxlog may not be necessary. IOW, maybe we can
document that's the limitation of pg_resetxlog.

Also regarding pg_xlogdump, we can just document, for example,
"please get rid of .paritial suffix from the WAL file name if
you want to dump it by pg_xlogdump".

Thought?

Regards,

--