Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > We bump at the beginning only because we _know_ we want new users to use
> > the newer library.  (Does the runtime linker know to get the highest
> > minor numbered library with the same major number?)
>
> No, the run-time linker only looks at the major version.

Then what value is there to incrementing the minor number?

> > The big question is whether a change in the API or a change in the code
> > (recompile) is enough to bump that major version number.  We always make
> > some force-recompile change in the library in each release, don't we?
> > Do we just bump the major in every major release?
>
> The rules are pretty clear:  If you change or remove an interface (= part
> of the API) then you change the major, if you add an interface or
> "improve" the code, change the minor.  Whether we actually change the code

So if a recompile fixes it, increment minor, else major.  Then we
normally only do minor-level changes,. and frankly we improve the code
all during development time and during beta, so it seems pretty abitrary
when we increment the minor unless we want to increment it many times
during development, _or_ right before final to ensure that final
releaase users have the newest version.

> during a release cycle is something that is best determined *after* the
> release cycle.  Possibly we always do, but I wouldn't be surprised if some
> library like pgeasy lay dormant for a while.
>
> > I usually bumped the minor at the beginning because this allows beta
> > testers to not have _extra_ versions of the library laying around, and
>
> That doesn't make sense to me.  Which extra versions?

If you bump during beta, and don't delete your pgsql/ directory, you
will have the old libpq.so there and the new one because once you bump
the version, the old one just says in the directory.