Tom Lane wrote:
> Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Wrong --- if you need a recompile then it's not binary-compatible, so
> >> it should be a major version bump.
>
> > But the previous poster said only API changes were reasons to bump the
> > major, right?
>
> Yes.  He meant *binary* API changes, though, ie, anything that would
> break extant executables originally linked to the prior version of the
> shared library.

Just for clarification --- don't most/all our releases make a binary
change that needs are compile?  Actually, you are saying a recompile of
the client, right?  Yes, we do those rarely, and in 7.3, for the NOTIFY
structure change.  What we do often is want old binaries to use our new
libraries.  That isn't a major bump requirement, right?