On 07/08/2015 08:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinn...@iki.fi> writes:
The only scenario where you might now get warnings if we switch to
upstream version, and didn't before, is if one of the flags makes
pthreads to work, but also creates compiler warnings, while another flag
later in the list would make it work without warnings. That's not
totally inconceivable, but I doubt it happens. In any case, there's
nothing PostgreSQL-specific about that, so if that happens, I'd like to
find out so that we can complain to the upstream.

Actually, it looks like the modern version of ax_pthread.m4 adds -Werror
while testing, so that this should not be an issue anyway (at least on
compilers that accept -Werror).

To conclude this thread: I replaced our custom pthread-checking autoconf macro with the latest upstream version, in PostgreSQL master. That should fix your original problem with the uClibc, OpenSSL, and pthreads combination, in PostgreSQL master (i.e. the future 9.6 version).

As a workaround for current versions, you can give PTHREAD_CFLAGS=-pthread (or whatever the right flag for that platform is) explicitly on the configure command line. That way the autoconf script will only test if that option works, skipping the autodetection logic and the warnings-test, so it will pass.

- Heikki