On 6/14/15 11:29 AM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> 0002 - Adds pg_resetsysid utility which changes the system id to newly
> generated one.
>
> 0003 - Adds -s option to pg_resetxlog to change the system id to the one
> specified - this is separate from the other one as it can be potentially
> more dangerous.

Adding a new top-level binary creates a lot of maintenance overhead
(e.g., documentation, man page, translations, packaging), and it seems
silly to create a new tool whose only purpose is to change one number in
one file.  If we're going to have this in pg_resetxlog anyway, why not
create another option letter to assigns a generated ID?  As the
documentation says, resetting the system ID clears the WAL, so it's not
like this is a completely danger-free situation.