On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Rajeev rastogi <rajeev.rast...@huawei.com>
wrote:

>  After few failed attempt to propose Autonomous transaction earlier. I
> along with Simon Riggs would like to propose again but completely different
> in approach.
>

> We also had discussion about this feature in last PGCon2015 Unconference
> Day, those who missed this discussion, please refer
>

> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/AutonomousTransactionsUnconference2015
>

> Before jumping into the design and code proposal for this feature, me
> along with Simon Riggs wanted to propose its behavior and usage to keep
> everyone in the same boat.
>
> So we have summarized the behavior and usage of the Autonomous Transaction
> based on the discussion with community members in last PGCon2015
> Unconference Day:
>

> *Behavior of Autonomous Transaction*:
>
> 1.            The autonomous transaction treated as a completely different
> transaction from the master transaction.
>
> 2.            It should be allowed to deadlock with master transaction. We
> need to work-out a solution to avoid deadlock.

For an autonomous transaction not to conflict with the master, either it
shouldn't take conflicting resources or when it does so, they should be
shared by the master transaction. The first needs to be implemented in an
application, the later will need careful design of how to share such
resources (hierarchial resource sharing?) and how to release the resources
when the ATX ends. Given that the transactions are autonomous as per point
1, they should be allowed to conflict and the deadlock detection would take
care of such deadlocks.

>  3.            It can support multiple level of nesting based on the
> configuration (may be max as 70).

This might just be an implementation artifact in other RDBMSes, and may not
necessarily apply to the implementation done here. So, we should not list
it as "necessary" behaviour of ATX. Just as an example (no way suggesting
that the design should be this way), if we implement autonomous
transactions using background worker processes or additional backends like
prepared transactions, we will have a limit on the number of simultaneously
open ATX. This may translate to nesting limit if we implement 4, but not if
we implement parallel autonomous transactions.

>  4.            Outer (i.e. main or upper autonomous) transaction to be
> suspended while the inner autonomous transaction is running.
>
> 5.            Outer transaction should not see data of inner till inner is
> committed (serializable upper transaction should not see even after inner
> transaction commit).

To me only 1 and 5 seem to be the real behaviour we should define, may be
4, but that restricts parallelism. Although parallel autonomous
transactions will have its own problems to solve like sharing code. But the
design shouldn't restrict it from being a future possibility, I guess.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat