On 07/25/2015 02:34 AM, Marc Mamin wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
Hmm. Yeah. It looks like commit a7ad5cf0cfcfab8418000d652fa4f0c6ad6c8911
changed from using the default compression for libz to using the
compression set in pg_dump options, which defaults to 0. This actually
seems like the right thing to do, but it certainly should have been
called out much more forcefully in release notes, and arguably should
not have been changed in stable releases. Not sure what we do about it now.
really 0? wouldn't that mean no compression at all?

No, that's not right either. The default should be Z_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION, so we shouldn't actually see a difference in the default case. And it is definitely compressing some. So I'm now puzzled by what you're seeing.

cheers

andrew