On 07/25/2015 03:07 PM, Marc Mamin wrote:
I propose to tighten pg_dump's rules so that only 0..9 are accepted as
arguments for -Z, and in compress_io.c:cfopen(), if compression is
equal to Z_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION, not add any explicit compression value
to the mode, thus using the zlib default.

As per attached patch.

Comments?

It seems that the first test on the compression in pg_backup_tar.c is now
obsolete.
It didn't make much sense anyway.

   211         if (AH->compression < 0 || AH->compression > 9)
   212             AH->compression = Z_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION;
   213
   214         /* Don't compress into tar files unless asked to do so */
   215         if (AH->compression == Z_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION)
   216             AH->compression = 0;
   217
   218         /*
   219          * We don't support compression because reading the files back
is not
   220          * possible since gzdopen uses buffered IO which totally screws
file
   221          * positioning.
   222          */
   223         if (AH->compression != 0)
   224             exit_horribly(modulename,
   225                      "compression is not supported by tar archive
format\n");
   226     }

In fact, the first two tests look unnecessary. Neither condition should be possible now.

cheers

andrew