Hi,

Finally getting to this.

On 2015-07-15 18:44:03 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Previously, LWLockAcquireWithVar set the variable associated with the lock
> atomically with acquiring it. Before the lwlock-scalability changes, that
> was straightforward because you held the spinlock anyway, but it's a lot
> harder/expensive now. So I changed the way acquiring a lock with a variable
> works. There is now a separate flag, LW_FLAG_VAR_SET, which indicates that
> the current lock holder has updated the variable. The LWLockAcquireWithVar
> function is gone - you now just use LWLockAcquire(), which always clears the
> LW_FLAG_VAR_SET flag, and you can call LWLockUpdateVar() after that if you
> want to set the variable immediately.
>
> This passes make check, but I haven't done any testing beyond that. Does
> this look sane to you?

The prime thing I dislike about the patch is how long it now holds the
spinlock in WaitForVar. I don't understand why that's necessary? There's
no need to hold a spinlock until after the
   mustwait = (pg_atomic_read_u32(&lock->state) & LW_VAL_EXCLUSIVE) != 0;
unless I miss something?

In an earlier email you say:
> After the spinlock is released above, but before the LWLockQueueSelf() call,
> it's possible that another backend comes in, acquires the lock, changes the
> variable's value, and releases the lock again. In 9.4, the spinlock was not
> released until the process was queued.

But that's not a problem. The updater in that case will have queued a
wakeup for all waiters, including WaitForVar()?

I'll try to reproduce the problem now. But I do wonder if it's possibly
just the missing spinlock during the update.

Andres