Robert Haas wrote:
>Maybe shoehorning this into the GUC mechanism is the wrong thing, and
>what we really need is a new config file for this.  The information
>we're proposing to store seems complex enough to justify that.

I think the consensus is that JSON is better.
And using a new file with multi line support would be good.

Name of the file: how about pg_syncinfo.conf?

Backward compatibility: synchronous_standby_names will be supported.
synchronous_standby_names='pg_syncinfo' indicates use of new file.

JSON format:
It would contain 2 main keys: "sync_info" and  "groups"
The "sync_info" would consist of "quorum"/"priority" with the count and
"nodes"/"group" with the group name or node list.
The optional "groups" key would list out all the "group" mentioned within
"sync_info" along with the node list.

Ex:
1.
{