Hello Heikki,

I don't think we actually want backslash-continuations. The feature we want is "allow SQL statements span multiple lines", and using the psql lexer solves that. We don't need the backslash-continuations when we have that.

Sure. The feature *I* initially wanted was to have multi-line meta-commands. For this feature ISTM that continuations are, alas, the solution.

Indeed there are plenty of links already which are generated by makefiles
(see src/bin/pg_xlogdump/*), and probably a copy is made on windows. There
should no file duplication within the source tree.

Yeah, following the example of pg_xlogdump and others is the way to go.

Docs need updating, and there's probably some cleanup to do before this is ready for committing, but overall I think this is definitely the right direction.

I've created an entry for the next commitfest, and put the status to "waiting on author".

I complained upthread that this makes it impossible to use "multi-statements" in pgbench, as they would be split into separate statements, but looking at psqlscan.l there is actually a syntax for that in psql already. You escape the semicolon as \;, e.g. "SELECT 1 \; SELECT 2;", and then both queries will be sent to the server as one. So even that's OK.

Good!

--
Fabien.