Personally I think that configuring things like that is definitely beyond the scope of an average administrator.

However, there is one thing which would be useful for many applications: It would be nice if there was a way to renice a connection. When it comes to reporting it would be nice to have a handle for slowing a backend down.

A patch for Linux would be quite easy ("SELECT nice_backend(int)") but I don't know how this fits into the Windows port and PostgreSQL on other platforms.

I think this would be a straight forward approach fixing most of the problems people might have with CPU usage.

Is this the right way to go?

Regards,
Hans

--
*Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig*
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria