--On Saturday, January 04, 2003 21:04:32 -0400 "Marc G. Fournier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

Dan Langille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> There is a long tradition of systematically failing to tag releases in
>> this project.  Don't expect it to improve.

> It was I who suggested that a release team would be a good idea.

We *have* a release team.  Your problem is that Marc, who is the man who
would need to do this, doesn't appear to consider it an important thing
to do.  Try to convince him to put it on his checklist.
I never considered tag'ng for minor releases as having any importance,
since the tarball's themselves provide the 'tag' ... branches give us the
ability to back-patch, but tag's don't provide us anything ... do they?

That said, I can back-tag the whole source tree for past releases if ppl
do think it is important, its just a matter of knowing the 'timestamp' to
base it on, which I can do based on the dates of the tar files ...
It's useful for those using the CVS files to RECREATE a version based on the TAG
to checkout something (without pulling the whole tarball).

LER

Its not like tag'ng is hard to do ...

Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]