On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:16 AM, David Fetter <da...@fetter.org> wrote:
> Proprietary, secret changes to the back end, sure, but the client?
> The most recent example I recall of that is Netezza, and I suspect
> that they just couldn't be bothered to publish the changes they made.
> At that time, the community psql client was not by any means as nice
> as it is now, so it's conceivable that they made substantive
> improvements, at least for talking to Netezza DBs.
>
>> Most have added backend features and I guess many of those have in
>> turn added support to psql for those features.  Sure it'd probably
>> in reality be relatively harmless for them to release these psql
>> modifications, but I rather doubt their management will generally
>> see it that way.
>
> Is it really on us as a community to go long distances out of our way
> to assuage the baseless[1] paranoia of people who are by and large not
> part of our community?

I was under the impression that I was part of this community, and I
have already said that my employer has added tab completion support,
and other psql features, related to the server features we have added.

Also, your statement that this is a long distance out of our way does
not seem to be justified by the facts.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company