> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> processes

> state

> of

> is
> >>
> >> That's the entire point of the thread (or so I thought): cancel
> >> transactions 'idle in transaction'.  This is entirely different than
> >> killing idle sessions.  BTW, I would never configure
> >> session_idle_timeout, because I have no idea what that would do to
> >> benign cases where connection poolers have grabbed a few extra
> >> connections during a load spike.   It's pretty common not to have
> >> those applications have coded connection retry properly and it would
> >> cause issues.
> >
> > you wrote "transaction_timeout: cancels transaction after X time,
> regardless
>
> Yes, and that is what I meant.  I have two problems with
> transaction_idle_timeout (as opposed to transaction_timeout):
>
> A) It's more complex.  Unsophisticated administrators may not
> understand or set it properly
>
> B) There is no way to enforce an upper bound on transaction time with
> that setting.  A pathological application could keep a transaction
> open forever without running into any timeouts -- that's a dealbreaker
> for me.
>
> From my point of view the purpose of the setting should be to protect
> you from any single actor from doing things that damage the database.
> 'idle in transaction' happens to be one obvious way, but upper bound
> on transaction time protects you in general way.

I agree so transaction_timeout is more general. But I  have same problem
@A. How it set properly. In our production max transaction can 30hours -
(VACUUM) or 5hours (ETL).  But transaction_idle_timeout can be 5minutes, I
know so 5 minutes in "idle in transaction" state signalizes some issue.

It looks very similar to relation between statement_timeout and
lock_timeout I am think.

Regards

Pavel