Jean-Michel POURE writes:

> > Finally, when you display East Asian characters you will
> > have a font problem because the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters
> > are mapped to the same range in Unicode but you are supposed to use
> > country-specific glyphs.
>
> Do you mean that glyph hexaX will display differently in UTF-8 and EUC_JP? If
> it is really the case, we cannot use UTF-8.

Well, it's not completely different, but customized to the language.  The
Chinese, Japanese, and Korean ideographs are really the same historically
but are displayed slightly differently.  If you use a country-specific
character set you probably also get a country-specific font with it, but
if you map it to Unicode then you will get whatever the default look is on
your computer.  This is actually not so bad because as I understand it,
for example, a Japanese book that quotes Chinese text uses the
Japanese-look ideographs for the Chinese portions as well.  But a database
administration tool is not a Japanese book, so you need to judge it.

--
Peter Eisentraut   [EMAIL PROTECTED]