On 11/24/2015 11:03 PM, José Luis Tallón wrote:
> On 11/24/2015 07:55 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> [snip]
>> The clearly critical thing, though, is that when forwarding a message
>> from
>> a person at a DMARC-using domain, we would have to replace the From: line
>> with something @postgresql.org.  This is what gets it out from under the
>> original domain's DMARC policy.
>
> One possibility that comes to mind:
>
> - Remove the sender's DMARC headers+signature **after thoroughly
> checking it** (to minimize the amount of UBE/UCE/junk going in)
> - Replace the sender's (i.e. 'From:' header) with
> list-sender+munched-em...@postgresql.org (VERP-ified address)
>
> - Add the required headers, footers, change the subject line, etc
>
> - DKIM-sign the resulting message with postgresql.org's keys before
> sending it

that seems entirely doable with our current infrastructure (and even
with minimal-to-no hackery on mj2) - but it still carries the "changes
From:" issue :/

>> [snip]
>>
>> If Rudy's right that Gmail is likely to start using p=reject DMARC
>> policy,
>> we are going to have to do something about this before that; we have too
>> many people on gmail.  I'm not exactly in love with replacing From:
>> headers but there may be little alternative.  We could do something like
>>     From: Persons Real Name <nob...@postgresql.org>
>> so that at least the person's name would still be readable in MUA
>> displays.
> Yup
>
>> We'd have to figure out whether we want the Reply-To: to be the original
>> author or the list; as I recall, neither of those are fully satisfactory.
> Or just strip it, though that trump the sender's explicit preference
> (expressed by setting the header)
>

> I might be able to help a bit with implementation if needed.

the MTA side of things is fairly easy/straightforward(including using
exim for some of the heavy lifting like doing the inbound dkim checking
and "hinting" the downstream ML-boxes with the results) - however the
main mailinglist infrastructure is still mj2 and that is aeons old perl
- still interested in helping with implementation? ;)

Stefan