On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> * Finish multixact truncation rework
> We're not seriously going to push something this large into 9.5 at this
> point, are we?

I don't know all the details here, so my apologies if any of this is

Given all the quite serious data corruption issues related to
multixact, wouldn't it be motivated to wait releasing 9.5.0 until this
much needed multixct truncation rework has been finished?

This is of course not an issue for users already on >=9.3, since the
problems started in 9.3 and those already on 9.3 and 9.4 already face
the risk.

But users who will consider upgrading from previous versions, will
have to ask themselves if all the new features in 9.5 are worth the
extra risk of data corruption due to the multixact issues.

We at Trustly are still running 9.1 and have been waiting for the
multixact problems to be fixed, which is why we didn't upgrade to 9.4,
and now when I read this I feel really sad we probably have to wait
for 9.6, unless we can accept some increase risk of data corruption.

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:

Reply via email to