I've tried to deal with some of these problems.
My patch have support for following things:
1. Check whether database instance is in the recovery/standby mode and
try to find another one if so.
2. Let cluster management software to have some time to promote one of
the standbys to master. I.e. there can be failover timeout specified to
allow retry after some time if no working master found.
Really there is room for some improvements in handling of connect
timeout (which became much more important thing when ability to try
next host appears). Now it is handled only by blocking-mode connect
functions, not by async state machine. But I decided to publish patch
without these improvements to get feedback from community.
A bit of testing on this turns up a problem.
Consider a connection string that specifies two hosts and a read/write
If the first host is a healthy standby (meaning that I can connect to it
but pg_is_in_recovery() returns 't'), the state machine will never move
on to the second host.
The problem seems to be in PQconnectPoll() in the case for
CONNECTION_AUTH_OK, specifically this code:
/* We can release the address list now. */
conn->addrlist = NULL;
conn->addr_cur = NULL;
That frees up the list of alternative host addresses. The state machine
then progresses to CONNECTION_CHECK_RO (which invokes
pg_is_in_recovery()), then CONNECTION_CHECK_RW (waiting for the response
from the server). Since we just connected to a standby replica,
pg_is_in_recovery() returns 't' and the state changes to
CONNECTION_NEEDED. The next call to try_next_address() will fail to
find a next address because we freed the list in the case for
A related issue: when the above sequence occurs, no error message is
returned (because the case for CONNECTION_NEEDED thinks "an appropriate
error message is already set up").
In short, if you successfully connect to standby replica (and specify
readonly=0), the remaining hosts are ignored, even though one of those
hosts is a master.
And one comment about the code itself - in connectDBStart(), you've
added quite a bit of code to parse multiple hosts/ports. I would
recommend adding a comment that shows the expected format, and then
choosing better variable names (better than 'p', 'q', and 'r'); perhaps
the variable names could refer to components of the connection string
that you are parsing (like 'host', 'port', 'delimiter', ...). That
would make the code much easier to read/maintain.
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (email@example.com)
To make changes to your subscription: